WSRP Chat on Discord
Open Chat in New Window
Page
of 9

Kit's Sketchings

85 replies
Kit
So... I've been trying to get some drawing practice in, and I figured, having other people's opinion on things might possibly maybe help me see things I don't see so I can improve a bit.

For now it's nothing fancy, but maybe someday...
Feedback would be very much appreciated. Help me get better?

Spoiler: The cast so farShow
Posted Jun 17, 13 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Zackarie L. Benefactor
Stars:
+3,092
While I can't really offer any advice on how to improve, as my artistic ability is limited to music. I will say that your lines are very, very nicely done, and I can see a great amount of character in each of the individuals you've drawn. Nice work!
Posted Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+241
Hi Kit! Seems we're in the same boat, the HMS Trying To Improve Our Drawing.

I agree with Fenwick that your lines are very well done, and your jaw lines are super slick. It seems to me you're 3/4 and profile sketches are stronger than your straight-on faces. Unfortunately, I can't really offer advice on how to fix those, since straight-on faces like to beat me in the head with a 2x4 whenever I try to attempt them. (Symmetry and I don't get along very well.)

So if I were you, and I were looking for a place to start, that's where I'd start. 'Cause otherwise, your portraits are pretty smokin'.
Martyr Bloodash: Adorkable aurin tinkerer
Posted Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Sly
Stars:
+803
Untagged users
.....Yep, I want to pounce all those characters.

Current advice? Try drawing women, older men, rougher looking men. You've got the hot bishonen guy down pact.
Posted Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+241
wrote:
.....Yep, I want to pounce all those characters.

Current advice? Try drawing women, older men, rougher looking men. You've got the hot bishonen guy down pact.

I came across this image dump a couple weeks ago. It's a treasure trove of reference shots.
Posted Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Sly
Stars:
+803
Untagged users
Dear god I now love you for that link, Soless.
Posted Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+241
I do what I must.

Because I can.
Posted Jun 17, 13
Stars:
+1,471
Untagged users
I rather fancy your portraits immensely, butyoualreadyknowthat. I will say though, that I love how--even if it's just the linework--there's already a lot of character to all these guys. You get a feel for them in the eyes especially, which I think is just friggin' neat. I can't wait to see more!
Silas' blog
Posted Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Kit
@ Fenwick: Thanks :x Maybe I'm weird, I was under the impression they were pretty uneven still.

@ Soless: I'll try to do more of those then. I guess it feels less natural since people rarely face others for long. Or maybe that's just me? And thanks for the link, that should be useful!

@ Sly: That's... not necessarily a good thing since it really wasn't intended. I meant for them to look more normal/average than handsome, so I guess that's another thing to work on.

@ Silas: Eyes are usually where it starts, and where it ends. So I guess that's good? I'll have to give Silas another try someday, too.

Spoiler: More peopleShow
Posted Jun 17, 13 · OP · Last edited Jun 17, 13
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+241
wrote:
I guess it feels less natural since people rarely face others for long. Or maybe that's just me? And thanks for the link, that should be useful!

No, I'm right there with you. People rarely look at other people straight on for longer than it takes to get their attention. Unless they're doing that "staring lovingly into each others' eyes" thing. I have a hell of a time with it myself, but I figure we gotta challenge ourselves to improve, right?
Posted Jun 17, 13
Page
of 9
NoticeNotices