Page
of 6

Mordesh Lore Compilation (2.0)

57 replies
Stars:
+2,000
Two big updates:

Headcanon:

For the purpose of keeping everything consolidated, the Lore compilation will now permit links to headcanons relevant to Mordesh lore. Any headcanons that wish to be featured on the list should be posted in an accessible place or posted in the Big Headcanon thread.

For the sake of keeping this thread as much of a canonical resource as possible, headcanons should be viewed as interpretations of lore and used for individual approval or acceptance. (Whether you agree or disagree with the headcanon is your prerogative.)

To maintain this thread's intended purpose (and to keep my sanity), I request that ALL headcanon discussion be reserved to the Big Headcanon thread. (I can't link this enough.) I would like to keep this resource focused on gathering and providing canonical lore when possible, so please do me this one favor: keep the thread clean.

Contributions:

For those who have contributed to the thread in some capacity, these people are now officially recognized for their efforts. Gold s for everyone.

mHbU0UF.png
Doctor Kristoff |Shade Hölle | Doctor Wilhelm | Kanimir Kristoff | The Overseer
Pyra Murioivox | Inquisitor Wilhelm | Hadrian AeleusBern
« Keeper of Mordesh Lore | Tumblr | Twitter »
Smoothly telling people to calm their tits since 2013.

Posted Sep 22, 16 · OP
Stars:
+2,000
Small Update!

Sources Fixed:
I've gone through and double-checked several Source links to ensure all sources have proper citations. Several links had to be fixed and should now redirect to their proper pages. (Only one source is broken and requires an updated link.)

If you have any questions or would like to add new lore information, feel free to reply to the thread or message me directly.
mHbU0UF.png

Posted Mar 10, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+2,000
New update!

Some undiscovered lore has been shared with many thanks to Lazarus for making a hefty contribution. I'm going through the process of sorting through this new stuff and will be adding it over time. For now, here are some of the latest additions that you can find listed in this thread's FAQ:

"What was the role of the Grismaran noble in their society?"

As part of the ruling class, the Mordesh nobility likely called the shots in political matters using a parliamentary government.
(Source)

"What was the justice system like in Grismara? What happened to criminals after the fall?"

Justice was pretty fatalistic/black & white. Post-fall, prisoners likely starved in their cells/were eaten/turned by Ravenous.
(Source)

"Did Grismara have sports? In fact, do any of the races we see in game have traditional sports and such?"

"Of course! They favored more "courtly" sports between just a few people like golf or tennis rather than massive team vs. team pseudo-warfare like football. Many other species do to, although depending on the species the "sport" might be fairly deadly (lookin' at you, Draken).

(The Ekose created sport of vindball has been popular for some time among many cultures, although it's hard to catch a game on Nexus since the war heated up there. And everyone loves a good hoverboard race.)" - Cory
(Source)

"How long does it take for a Mordesh without Vitalus to fully turn Ravenous? If a Mordesh runs out of vitalus but is saved before it's too late, the next time do they have a shorter time limit?"

"It can vary, but generally several hours. It's a fairly aggressive disease. If administered in time, Vitalus has a slight revitalizing effect. Unless they run out of Vitalus right away, the time limit won't decrease." - Gary
(Source)

"Do Mordesh in cryosleep need Vitalus during the time they are in there?"

"No. It's safe to say that the progressive physical and mental decay caused by the Contagion is halted (or slowed) while in cryosleep." - Gary
(Source)

mHbU0UF.png

Posted Jun 10, 17 · OP
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+1
Hi and thanks for this wonderful thread which has helped me greatly with the creation of my Mordesh characters and their background. Particularly the next to zero Vitalus consumption while in cryo, which I ad-libbed at first, I was damn happy to find supported here.

Now I have recently interacted with a very creative and dominant player in my RP circle who came up with a Mordesh character descendant of a House that imho would bear comparison with the Borgia or Medici of our Florentine times. In his words: “A middle continental grismaran family. I'm sure you heard of us before the Contagion. Some of us were sadly infamous in my family trying on some foolish escapades of global domination.”

This leads me to wonder: Is there anything official concerning Grismara's geography like continents and such?

If my character is from the other side of the grismaran globe, he might have picked up tales of said house from history books at best.
Posted Oct 10, 17
Star
List
Undo
Stars:
+2,000
wrote:
This leads me to wonder: Is there anything official concerning Grismara's geography like continents and such?

I had to dig through Laz's notes for this one, but this should help answer your question:
Were there many continents on Grismara, or was it more like pangea?

I assume it had a normal variety of continents & I imagine it having a range of climates similar to those of continental Europe.

Was Mordescu one and only language on Grismara or are there dialects?

There are probably regional dialects, but the base language remains largely coherent.

Given this information, we can safely assume that there were various types of regions and cultural variations to the overall aesthetic. If you have any other questions, feel free to join us on Discord or response to this thread. Enjoy Nexus. o/
mHbU0UF.png

Posted Oct 10, 17 · OP · Last edited Oct 10, 17
Stars:
+1
Thank you for your prompt reply. With under 24 hrs reaction time in a forum thread where there have been no new posts for over a month regarding a tragically neglected game I'm honest to gosh impressed.
Good idea suggesting Discord. I'll swing by and check it out.
Posted Oct 10, 17
Stars:
+2,000
wrote:
Thank you for your prompt reply. With under 24 hrs reaction time in a forum thread where there have been no new posts for over a month regarding a tragically neglected game I'm honest to gosh impressed.
Good idea suggesting Discord. I'll swing by and check it out.

In truth, the forums aren't nearly as active as they used to be, and a lot of RPers who are still enjoying the game are more commonly seen on Discord. There is the main WSRP Discord community, and we have a separate Mordesh RP community server, too. We have a lore discussion channel there where questions such as yours can be more quickly answered.
mHbU0UF.png

Posted Oct 10, 17 · OP
Stars:
+1
Excellent! Found my way to the WSRP Discord community. Can't seem to find the Mordesh RP community server, though.
I would have expected one of those rectangles with a dot on the left in the resources channel.
Posted Oct 10, 17
Page
of 6
NoticeNotices